Monday, February 18, 2013

President's Day Weekend

trip to the park and some low cal. cookin'...

Valentine's Day has come and gone. My roses are pretty much wilted away, and my hands are raw from playing with flowers. Thank goodness I bought myself a little Christmas present, my favorite 'Mary Kay' hand treatment. (It works wonders!)

Since Friday was a decent day outside, after the gym I decided to take Miss Piper to the park for the first time. I mean, she's been on the swings at Brown's Orchards when I've gone there to get some things, but this was the first time I've taken a trip just to play at a a park with her.  Naturally, she loved it! I brought my niece with us, whom Piper absolutely ADORES, and it was so cute to see them chase eachother around and take pictures of them with my new camera:

 

The 3 day President's Day weekend meant one more day of Eddie being home, one more day of family time, one more day of cooking and being able to enjoy dinner. I cook all the time, but with our hectic day-to-day schedules, we don't get to sit down and eat as a family much. So, on the way home from the park, I decided to take a detour and stop at the local market.  The Eastern Market is open every Friday, and it's one of the things I adore about this god-for-saken little town.  The produce is much more reasonably priced, plus you can get fresh meats, salads, seafood, nuts, and a bunch of local businesses have tables there, which makes it fun to browse around.  We didn't really have anything like that in Jersey, so it's a neat experience.


While walking through the isles, I decided to suprise Eddie with a good meal.  I opted for Crab-Stuffed Portabellas, London Broil with Creamy Horseradish Sauce, red roasted potatoes, and asparagas. (of course accompanied by one of my best friends, Pinot Grigio.) Eddie loves to grill, so he took care of the London Broil, cooking it medium-rare and just simply seasoning it with salt and pepper. The rest, well here I am bloggin' it:

Crab Stuffed Portabellas 
  • 2 packs button mushrooms
  • EVOO, salt and pepper
  • 8 ounces crab meat
  • 2 tablespoons diced red bell pepper
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon mustard
  • 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayo
  • 1 tablespoon old bay seasoning
  • 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs (optional, but I like to use them to bind it all together)
  • pinch of salt and pepper
  • parsley

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Combine your crab meat, diced red pepper, 1 egg, mustard, reduced-fat mayo, & old bay. Mix all together and add panko to bind everything together. Season with salt, pepper, and parsley.

Remove stems from the mushrooms then toss in salt, pepper, and EVOO. Take crab mixture and fill holes of the mushrooms with it. Place on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and bake for 20-25 minutes.
Creamy Horseradish Sauce
  • 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
  • 2-3 tablespoons reduced-fat mayo
  • 1 tablespoon horseradish
  • salt and pepper for seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon hot sauce 
Stir all ingredients together to combine. I used this sauce on the mushrooms as well as our london broil. Yum!
Hope you all enjoy your extra day off and away from the every day grind. I'm going to make myself a salad with some leftover London Broil (you know how I do) and spend some extra time with the fam!

 
..don't be shy, and thanks for stopping by!.. 
*follow me on instagram: everyonedeservesflowers*
Follow Me on Pinterest 

1 comment:

  1. She's beautiful! I still can't figure out how to follow your blog! :(

    ReplyDelete