Wednesday, February 27, 2013

nuts about mango...

nutella'll get 'cha!...

So, over the weekend I put on two pounds of the six that I've lost so far. I don't know if it was the stress of starting an 'everyone deserves flowers.' Facebook page (which if you haven't visited and 'liked' yet, please do!) or the fact that I ate a buttload of Nutella, but it's so unfair. (Fat girl for life- whoop whoop!) Well, needless to say, no cheating AT ALL for me this week! This girl needs to get back on track! 

A friend of mine posted a status on Facebook that kind of made me giggle. "Am I the only one who feels like salads are more of an appetizer than a meal?" I do, at times, feel that way too. The trick is to make sure your packing your salads with not only all the healthy veggies, but get some good fats (nuts, flaxseed), some protein (chicken, tuna, fish, steak), and if it is going to be a 'meal' for you, you might want to add some healthy carb in there too. I personally think salads are amazing! They are so refreshing and can be filling. I eat one pretty much everyday, but I like to switch up what I put in it so I don't get bored. In one of my previous posts I listed all the items I buy when I go to the grocery store. Some ideas for your salad might be on that post.

I've had a little obsession with mango lately. Yummmmm....
Therefore, I added it to a salad last night and that was it for me. I'm sold! Most delicious salad I've made yet. 


Ingredients:
  • 1/2 mango (107 cals)
  • romaine lettuce
  • 2 teaspoons 'pecan pieces' (45 cals)
  • 1/8 serving craisins (16 cals)
  • cucumber
  • tomato
  • slivered red onion
  • 1/4 diced avocado (81 cals)
  • 1/8 serving reduced fat crumbled blue cheese (20 cals)
  • 3 oz. grilled chicken (140 cals)
  • 1 tablespoon shredded coconut (35 cals)
I dress mine simply with just some EVOO and a little red wine vinegar. This salad is about 450 calories! Might sound like a lot, but that is the kind of salad that is going to be filling and nutritious. Plus, it's a big salad. You need to fuel your body, especially after a workout. Between the veggies (feel free to add more if you'd like), the power-fruit avocado, and the protein enriched chicken (you can sub shrimp, crab, salmon, etc.) you are going to get a sense of fullness. The pecan pieces and coconut are added for sweetness and fun, but nix them if your not interested. I'm sure you have all seen salads on a restaurant menu that you think are good for you and they are not! *Example- a chicken caesar can be about the same amount of calories as this one, lacking the healthy fats and using full fat dressing! Make sure your  filling up on better choices and be aware of the mistakes you can make in salads. 


Mango is a funky little fruit to cut. The pit is in the center 
(naturally) and is a long, flatter, oblong shaped pit. To cut a mango, you want to slice along side of the pit on both sides. You will be left with 3 individual pieces, two halves and a pit. Take one of the halves, and slice it vertically and horizontally making a checkered pattern, but not all the way through the skin. Here's the fun part! Take your thumbs and push the center of the skin up, turning the mango inside out and creating this:


So cool, right!? (It's the little things in life that make me smile.) Anyway, now you can cut the cubes off the skin with a knife and plop them right onto your salad, or yogurt, or fat-free cool whip, or make a smoothie... The possibilities are endless! :) 
Mango is my new best friend.

Just wanted to share one little tidbit of information my handy-dandy Facebook newsfeed informed me on (for you local mommies): Collage Shop will be carrying Vera Bradley baby clothing! I love and adore their baby section, and they carry 'Mudpie' clothing for my little Piper, but how stinkin' cute will these colors be for Summer:

I really have to stop following these cute little boutiques. It does nothing but get me in trouble. (hehe)

..don't be shy, and thanks for stopping by!.. 
*follow me on instagram: everyonedeservesflowers* 
'Like' on facebook: everyone deserves flowers.

Follow Me on Pinterest 

No comments:

Post a Comment