Wednesday, January 30, 2013

simply heat and eat

spinach strata...

So, I went to Target yesterday. I ran in to grab some liquid egg whites and tissues on my way to my mom's house. $86.00 later, I walked out! What is it with that place!? I mean, besides it being amazing. Well amazing, yes, except for one thing... their dressing rooms. The mirrors are 365 degree, pick out every flaw and throw it in your face kind of mirrors. Good golly! Just when you think you have your eating on track, your workouts are consistent, and you're starting to make progress, just head to Target, try something on in their dressing room, and I'm sure you will be given a reality check! Luckily, I don't take criticism from a mirror lightly. Therefore, I made a pact to myself to push even harder on the treadmill today and when I prep my meals for the entire day, not to alter the plan. I was up at 6:00 a.m to prep, bake, and hold strong to my commitment. (As you can see Evil Target Mirror, you really got to me!)

My sister told me she was sick of eating yogurt and oatmeal everyday. Are you sick of eating the same old' same ol' for breakfast, too? Personally, I never get sick of oatmeal with fruit. I could eat oatmeal for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but I can understand that most people cannot. This recipe for spinach strata is super easy, and super healthy to top it off! It's a quick grab-and-go option for those of you who don't have time to cook for yourself every meal, and although it is a 'breakfast' recipe, I also grab this as a protein enriched snack, which I plan on doing today:




ingredients:
  • 1 package frozen spinach, thawed and drained
  • 1c fat-free cottage cheese (140 calories
  • 1/2 cup fine diced onion 
  • 1 teaspoon parsley (or rosemary)
  • 1 clove minced garlic
  • 1/2 cup fat-free milk (45 calories)
  • 1 cup liquid egg whites (125 calories)
  • 1/2 cup fat-free shredded cheese (your choice; I normally do cheddar because they always have that type of cheese available 'fat-free' in every food store) (90 calories)
  • 2 slices wheat bread (if on hand) (140 calories)
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray your pan. If I have some wheat bread laying around, I will pull apart a piece or two and cover the bottom of the pan to create a 'crust.' That is not necessary to make it delicious though. In a separate bowl, mix cottage cheese, spinach, parsley, garlic, milk and egg. 



Put half of mixture in the pan, top with half the amount of cheese allotted, add the rest of mixture, top with remaining cheese. Bake 35-45 minutes. Voila! 

*note: I slice my baked strata into 12 squares, each coming out to be just 45 calories. Like I said, I keep it in the fridge, and as I feel hungry, can grab a square, heat, and eat! I sometimes top it with a tablespoon or two of salsa (+5-10 calories) for some extra flavor.


..don't be shy, and thanks for stopping by!.. 
*follow me on instagram: everyonedeservesflowers*

1 comment: