Monday, January 28, 2013

January feature of the month

"I became empowered"...

Since everyone in my house is sick today, (my poor little Piper has been battling her first cold and her little cough just melts my heart) I figured it was a good, icy, cold day to throw on a pot of my whole wheat tortellini creamy tomato soup. I originally stole the recipe off this pin on Pinterest, but made a few tweaks to keep it a low calorie meal. We're going to eat it tonight with grilled cheese, as per Eddie's man-cold request. (we like our grilled cheese with tomato, and of course I'll be using honey-wheat bread, reduced-fat cheese, and 'i can't believe it's not butter light' to make it.) The original recipe calls for milk, half-and -half, chicken stock, and a package of tortellini. I simply substituted Fat-free milk, Fat-free half-and-half, low-sodium chicken stock, and whole wheat tortellini. (If you can't find the whole wheat tortellini in the frozen section or the 'International' isle, look at one of the center queues by the hummus and fresh pastas. That's where I found it.) By making these small substitutions, not only did it decrease the calories per serving, but by using the whole wheat tortellini simply made it more nutritious... And delicious I might add! Especially when you top it with some of my homemade croutons. Yum!



Since I was already messing up the kitchen, I put together THIS marinade for some chicken, which always makes it grill up delish, and have it sitting in the fridge for salads/wraps tomorrow.

*Now that you know what you're making for dinner tonight, let's get into the 'feature of the month.' Yup, I have plans on featuring local businesses and highlighting inspirational stories or people on my blog at the end of every month. (So if your interested in that, feel free to contact me.) 

Since the focus this month has been wellness and fitness, I decided to reach out to a friend of mine, and a very popular face around Gold's Gym, Lisa Long. Her body is rockin', and her drive is non-stoppin' (haha- apparently I can rap, too.) 
She has come a ways herself on a fitness journey, achieving many goals most of us would have given up a on a long time ago (pun intended) by believing through focused exercise, healthy eating and smart supplementation, those goals could be achieved. Guessing it was very hard for her to cram 5 years of fitness goals, woes, achievements, and obstacles into a few paragraphs, she wrote up a little something for us all to read in hopes we all stick to our resolutions, just as she did, and to enlighten us on a brand of supplements she advises:




Hi!  My name is Lisa.  I am a Mom to three active children who are 12, 10 and 7.  I am a wife to Michael. I run a household, I volunteer, and I am an athlete.

I am a stay at home Mom.  I used to have an outside job.  In fact, several very interesting jobs… but the moment I laid eyes on my first child, I just knew the only thing I needed to do anymore was to be the best Mom to him.  I did not realize how hard Motherhood was…even after bringing two more children into our home.

I was so joyful to have three wonderful children and be able to stay home and raise them.  Two years after the birth of my daughter, who is my third, I had yet to lose that “baby weight” as they call it.  I had to admit I had let myself go.  Although my husband never complained and my children loved me no matter what,  I was terribly unhappy with the way I looked on the outside not to mention on how I felt on the inside.  I was so tired, had no energy.
(before)
January 14th 2008.  I made a resolution, just like everyone else, and joined a gym.

Over time I made changes, I gained energy and confidence.  As I lifted, I changed.  It inspired me.  I became empowered.

In the spring of 2009, I entered the world of competitive figure body building.  Never would I have guessed walking into the gym a little more than a year ago I would now be on stage in a body building competition.
(after)
Not everything was easy.  I had set backs.  In fact, in the summer of 2009, I did hit an obstacle, a 
major hurdle to overcome.  My C 5-6 and C 6-7 needed to be fixed...  Surgery.  I lost feeling in my right arm, and I HAD to stop training.  I was told, even after surgery, I may never regain strength.  Good. A challenge.  It was exactly what I needed to hear.  It made me a BETTER athlete and a BETTER competitor.  I still compete to this day.

Outside of the gym, I encourage my family to be healthy and active.  Never underestimate yourself.  So many people believe they can’t do something or achieve a certain physique.  I am here to tell you, if you think that way you won’t….Believe in yourself.

I am an advocate for healthy living.  As an athlete I am always searching for ways to aid in my health and assist in the demands I place on my body, mind and soul on a daily basis.
This year,  I searched and found a company I believe in.  I found a brand to simplify my life.  I found Advocare. Visit Site here.

Advocare is a brand with products for everyone.  They have a full line of health and wellness, energy, weight loss and sports performance.  Their product line is helping me and many others like me to live a healthier life and have the energy to do the things they want to do.

Advocare has also given me the opportunity to help others.  I chose to become an Advocare advisor.  Along with Advocare, my own personal experience and journey will allow me to help others realize their own potential.

Advocare’s business opportunity compliments my commitment to helping people achieve their personal best.  Advocare products do what many other products say they will do.  I believe in Advocare.


Thanks so much to Lisa for being my first feature. She is not only an inspiration to so many at our local Gold's Gym, but I'm sure to a lot of readers as well.  Lisa is also in a photo contest with Bare Performance Nutrition right now, and by clicking here, liking their page, and voting for her, we can all help her win! You can vote once everyday until the end of the contest.

..Dont be shy.. and thanks for stopping by..
*follow me on instagram: everyonedeservesflowers*
Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment